Friday, July 10, 2015

Day 1, Getting Acquainted

     My name is Spencer Frakes and I'm a senior at RSU.  I'm majoring in Biology in the Environmental Conservation option.  As a way to earn some work experience and experience an amazing ecosystem, I'll be spending about three weeks working in the Luquillo Forest of Puerto Rico.  My job here is to be a member of a six-person team conducting a survey of snails in the rainforest.
     We arrived in San Juan yesterday afternoon and had enough time to drive around Old San Juan and take a rough car tour.  Then we continued on out of town toward the forest and the station.
     Once there, I met the other members of my team and we all went and had dinner at a local barbecue shack.  Our first night concluded with a hike in the forest to get a feel for the place and to see a few of the fifteen or so snails that will be my focus for the near future.
     I feel incredibly lucky to get to take this trip, and am looking forward to more!


No comments:

Post a Comment