Sunday, July 7, 2013

The First Full Day

My name is Brett Nixon, I'm going into my final year at RSU, looking towards getting a degree in Environmental Conservation. My goal for this trip is to gain some field experience that is definitely not available in Oklahoma, giving me a chance to visit, and live in the rainforest, along with meeting other students and professors in the same field as I am.

Our first night in Puerto Rico was relatively uneventful. We landed safely got to the station and then went out to eat at a barbeque joint where we tried some soda called Coco Rico. I'm not too much of a fan of coconut, but this soda was surprisingly good. After eating we went back to the station and met up with the other snailers.

This morning is when the fun really begins. The students woke up first, and relatively early, (yeah you read that right THE STUDENTS WOKE UP FIRST) we got tired of waiting around and decided we would do a little exploring on our own. We didn't do a whole lot because it didn't take long for us to find something we wanted to try, swimming under some waterfalls in the small pools they lead to, so we trekked shortly back up the hill to the research station and dawned the necessary things for swimming. Other than swimming not a whole lot more was done in our free time, except a group running to the grocery store for supplies.

Tonight was our first night of actually doing snail research, we split into three groups of three and all worked the CTE, a canopy trimming experiment used to simulate natural destruction of canopy. Our work consisted of counting snails, and measuring a couple of species, and also counting walking sticks if we came across any in our plots. Other than snails we saw plenty of frogs, and lizards (my guess would be they are some type of anole), and a couple of crabs among other things. We made it back to the station around midnight, making for a relatively early night for us, which I'm told might not happen too often.

That's all I've got for now, I'm hoping I will have plenty more to share though out our 17 days here
The stream we swam in
 

No comments:

Post a Comment