Wednesday, July 11, 2012

In the beginning....

7-11-2012
     My name is Shawn Whitmore.  I am enrolled in the Environmental Conservation degree at RSU.  I am wanting to acquire a position such as Park Ranger or Game Warden when I finish my degree.  I saw this trip to Puerto Rico as an excellent opportunity to gain experience as well as network with people within my field.  It does not hurt that the research takes place in a rain forest.
     After arriving at Puerto Rico, there is no  disappointment.  It is a beautiful location.  Something I find very entertaining is the number of lizards.  There are lizards everywhere!! 

      During the night the frogs are all you can hear, aside from the occasional screech owl. Our first night of research was  a success.  Learning the scientific names of the snails did prove to be difficult.  Apparently Naomi is not a correct scientific name.  Dr. Zimmermann died a little inside every time I butchered a name.
    The terrain is difficult to walk on, but  it is very good excercise making your way between plots.  We were infact being stocked by the la chupacabra which was making interesting calls at us.


No comments:

Post a Comment